Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Three O'clock in the Morning

is a wonderful time to regret. I am regretting right now. With regret that runs as deep and as wide as mine, there are any number of life decisions I could be regretting, but right now I'm focusing on just two. I'm trying to decide which of these two regrettable decisions is more regrettable. The first is my decision to go to sleep on my stomach with both arms extended over the pillow and my head turned completely to one side. The second is my decision to wake up at 3 A.M. only to discover that I had fallen asleep on my stomach with both arms extended over the pillow and my head turned completely to one side. It's a question of pain. Right now, I'm having pain and not sleeping. If I had slept till 5:40 when my alarm was set to sound, I would also been in pain, perhaps even more pain than I'm in now, but I would be beginning a task that is intrinsically painful. The pain of going to sleep in a bad position would pretty much dissolve into the much greater pain of grinding out a lower-middle class living in America. As it is now, I feel the pain of sleeping in a bad position very acutely, and I regret that. But not that much.

I will sleep now.

3 comments:

carl duewall said...

they've got medication for that; all of that.

Dave Renfro said...

Yeah, I just took one. Actually, I took one at 3:00 and now it's 6:00 and I need to drive to work, which I deeply regret.

Mornin' Sunshine!

bulletholes said...

Shoulda took two. You'd still be in bed with more to regret. how many you got left?