Monday, February 01, 2010

Life in the Nunavut is Hard

There's so much to do. I need to cut caribou meat into strips and hang it on wooden racks to dry. After that, I poach salmon. On the off days, I dig potato roots and store them as fuel so I can melt water in the winter time. I desperately need to stretch some new polyethylene over the kayak frame I made from whale bones. And then there's going out day after day looking for a seal to club, usually coming back empty and cold. It is very tiring. Some days I'm so exhausted I just stay in my wikiup all day reading Balzac and watching videos of Neil Young singing "Pants on the Ground."

3 comments:

carl duewall said...

that's what i'd be doing too......if i were you.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I envy your "natural" lifestyle. Everything you do is done to the rhythm of the earth and seasons. Here in the lower 48 contiguous states, it's harder. Like if I want to club a seal, I have to go to the zoo.

Great post!

UF Mike

bulletholes said...

"If i want to club a seal, I have to go to the zoo"
God thats funny.
Thats some kinda slapstick humor there.