Sunday, September 04, 2011

Two Weeks Till Winslow

I guess Jen is ready. I call her now and then and she's always like, "I ran twelve miles yesterday," or "I had a terrible run yesterday, only nine miles but it was 110 degrees outside." My sister is a traditionalist, you see. She thinks the way to prepare for a running race is to run. I can't necessarily argue with that approach given the results she's achieved in the umpteen hundred running races she's already competed in, but Damn!, it sure seems like a lot of work. I'm taking a different strategy, myself. Yeah, I have been running on weekends and a few times after work, but only a few miles at a time and always with lots of walk breaks. I hardly break a sweat. Instead of all that intensive training, I'm relying on the proprietary blend of 36 branched-chain amino acids developed over two decades by Hammer Nutrition, the choice of endurance athletes around the world. That and the optimum mix of elemental and chloride forms of potassium perfected by the hydration experts at Camelback. Dissolving just one Elixir tablet in my 21oz. water bottle is like eating twelve bananas. And the 670 calories of slow-metabolizing complex carbohydrates and 400mg of caffeine found in every ounce of Hammer Gel guarantee I won't be bonking when the walking gets tough. But no matter, Jen can run as much she wants to. I guarantee I will propel my sloshing corpulence the same distance she does two Saturdays from now. It will take me probably an hour longer, of course, but when I do finish I'll still have some glucose reserves left and any lactic acid produced in my legs will have been flushed free and pissed into a ditch long before I break the timing lights. Jen's body will still be cannibalizing lean muscle tissue to make up for the extreme depletion of nutrients she allowed to occur by relying on natural food and plain water to take her the absurd distance of a half-marathon. I wish her all the best, though, and I hope the cramping and nausea she will no doubt experience doesn't diminish her enjoyment of Winfest after the race. That would be a real bummer.

Can't wait to see you, Sis!

7 comments:

red dirt girl said...

Good luck to the both of you! I once walked a half-marathon. Once being the operative word here. I don't plan on repeating the experience...!

xxx

Dave Renfro said...

Cool! I'm actually having the idea that I might do this again. I'm even entertaining the possibility of running a full marathon but it would take something more than just personal satisfaction to get me to go through that much pain. I sponsored a buddy of mine who ran the St. Jude Children's Hospital marathon in Memphis last year. He raised a pile of money for the hospital. I was thinking of running a marathon to raise money for Autism Speaks because of the incredible work they do to raise autism awareness. My life up till now could have been easier and much more productive if I had heard of Asperger's a few decades earlier. On the other hand, I get a little bit pissed with Autism Speaks when they go on about finding a cure for Autism. I can feel for the people who have really severe autism, but for myself and even my son who has a substantially bigger dose of it, I sometimes want to say to Autism Speaks, "You know what, instead of groping hopelessly in the dark trying to "cure" us, why don't you just go fuck yourselves." On whole, though, they do tremendous work and I wouldn't mind supporting them by running a marathon. Maybe next year. Love ya!

red dirt girl said...

I just finished reading Jodi Picoult's novel 'House Rules' about a teenager with Asperger's. It was fascinating and tragic to read about the daily ins and outs of living with an autism spectrum disorder. I understand your frustration: people want cures. Those of us with 'personality disorders' just want the world to open up enough to accept our differences of processing the world. That our world view has as much merit as anyone else's. It's much like being an alien on earth (my point of view). But I could live without the psychic pain. My heart and wishes go out to you and yours dear Dave!

xxx

Jen T said...

Hey Dave, looking forward to Winslow! I know why you keep writing posts like this--you are setting it up so that it will seem like an even bigger victory for you when you leave me behind eating your dust on those hills. When you finish the race, all I ask is that you wait around for me to finish--I won't want to walk home!

Dave Renfro said...

Hi Jen! I'm just having a bit of fun at your expense here. My most objective analysis of our relative training programs and the topographical conditions where those training programs are taking place lead me to believe there is a great likelyhood that will will cross the finish line together, which would be ideal!

One more week!

Dave Renfro said...

Oh, and don't wait for me at the finish line. Instead, go immediately and save me a spot at Winfest. I'll catch up with you in an hour or so. Thanks!

Dave Renfro said...

Oh, and thanks for the book tip, Red! I'm almost done with my Kafka collection which I only started this Labor Day weekend so I'll be looking for something else to read. You're tops mule friend!